Friday 5 March 2010

Film Review: Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland

alice

I’m trying very hard to think of ways to write this review without encouraging the wrath of Disney (because we all know how that feels, don’t we Odeon, Vue and Cineworld?). I went to see Alice in Wonderland this afternoon, because if I didn’t see it today, I probably wouldn’t have went to see it at all. And I kind of wish I hadn’t.

It’s not a long film and not very much happens. It’s pretty to look at, but there’s no real depth. Plus, fans of the original version(s) of Alice probably won’t like this film very much – it’s most definitely only to be enjoyed by the Tim Burton Brigade.

The acting leaves a lot to be desired by the girl playing Alice. It’s all shaky and pathetic and just does not compare to the big names she stars alongside with. Anne Hathaway stole the film, in my opinion. Her portrayal of the White Queen was very Nigella Lawson meets absent-minded fairy and was just completely enjoyable. I’m not going to talk about Johnny Depp’s “Scottish” accent. I couldn’t understand him a lot of the time, to be honest.

Would I recommend people go and see it? Not really. And definitely no in 3D. It adds pretty much nothing to the film and is just going to cost you a couple more pounds to look like a prat in the glasses.

I’m saddened that I couldn’t give this film a more positive review, but it certainly is what I’ve been expecting all along.

name

No comments:

Post a Comment