Friday 22 January 2010

Being contacted by companies – when they do it wrong.

As a blogger there are certain perks. For bloggers with high readerships it’s likely that they’ll be sent products related to their niche to try out provided they write a (favourable) review on their blog. Other’s may receive money to write reviews about products and services.

I will admit freely now that one day in the future I do hope that I am sent products and such to try out, but this is not the ultimate aim of my blog writing. I write because I enjoy it and it’s a nice outlet.

About a week and a half ago I was approached, via email, by a company who wanted me to write as a potential guest blogger in their fashion section as well as recommend their price comparison service and add them to my blog roll. While I have no problems with being approached and asked about these kind of things, I do have a problem when I’m approached by a company who would not interest my (small) readership at all. It’s a very basic price comparison website who were asking me to give them free advertising for nothing in return – no link back, no monetary reward and nothing of interest for you guys.

I didn’t respond to the email. I have received another email from the company asking me to yet again become a guest blogger and to mention their website in a future blog post. For those of you who are observant, you will notice that I haven’t made a post about fashion in any way since October. While I do post about things I buy, I most certainly do not count that as fashion tips or as fashion blogging. I have been making a move away from fashion (which is not my strong point) towards make up, lifestyle, student things and finance. I find it slightly insulting that from what I’ve been posting in my blog that a company would think I’m a fashion blogger.

Once again, I will not be replying to this email. I should probably give them a polite, but firm, sign of decline, but I feel that they themselves are being fairly rude by not actually reading my blog and just assuming I would want to be one of their guest bloggers in hopes that my followers number would jump.

I won’t be naming the company, of course, but I just wanted to get this out there. While I’m not objecting to being contacted in any way by companies, you guys or other bloggers, I am objecting to being contacted by people who are just hoping for free advertising.

For you other bloggers out there – what is your experience with this? Do you find that as your readership grows you get a lot of free loading companies hoping to make a quick buck from you?

name

PS. Sorry about the lack of pictures, but I don’t think there’s anything that would really fit with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment