Wednesday 9 December 2009

Book buying.

I’ve been buying books again. Even though it’s the run up to Christmas, I was lucky enough to gain enough points through doing online surveys to get £20 worth of Amazon vouchers. Lightspeed Panel is the best site for this, I’ve found. If you can’t see where to join, just Google “lightspeed panel sign up”. I’m going very off topic though. I would rather wait until my books have been delivered before I do this, but I just love talking about books!

doriangrey The Picture of Dorian Gray
by Oscar Wilde (£2.16)
I never saw the film of this when it was out a couple of months ago, but it doesn’t mean that I’m not interested, which I am. I’m trying to read my way through a few classics as well, so I had to start somewhere.

dracula 
Dracula
by Bram Stoker (£2.16)
I first read this when I was about 11, I think. I vaguely remember it. As such, it’s about time I go back to the roots of vampire fiction and read about vampires who don’t sparkle in the sunlight or have outed themselves to the world.

heights 
Wuthering Heights
by Emily Bronte (£2.16)
It’s the last of the classic must reads I bought. It was a very split second decision, but I suppose as a female I have to read this book?

tropicofcancer21js 
Tropic of Cancer
by Henry Miller (£4.98)
This is, surprisingly if I’m honest, a book which I don’t think a lot of people my age have heard about. Sure it’s smutty and dirty (if you couldn’t tell from the cover), but it’s got to be some book if it was banned in Britain for ages, right?

time 
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger (£3.82)
I had wanted to see this film when it came out, but had no one to go with, sadly. So I’ll read the book first, while I wait for the DVD to be less than a fiver.

dead 
Dead As A Doornail
by Charlaine Harris (£4.37)
I have to admit, I’m quite embarrassed with myself for succumbing to these books. I already have the first four, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts. I read the first three fairly quickly, but I’ve been taking my time with the fourth one due to a lot of work and an exam in a week. I’m buying the fifth one in anticipation, you could say. Though this is most definitely not a classic, I’m still excited to read it and I don’t care what anyone thinks.

This was the book haul I managed to get with £20 worth of vouchers – I had something ridiculous like 35p left over at the end, which I put towards my diary for next year. I ordered my diary separately though, as I actually ordered the books yesterday.

mole

Moleskine Weekly Notebook 2010(£8.80)

I normally take a quick trip into WHSmith for my diary and usually get an A5 sized piece of work. This year though, I’m wanting to really try and get more use out of my diary, so I’ve went for the pocket size, which is slightly more compact. I’ve also chosen to go Moleskine because I really want to see if all the hype is really worth it. Plus, red is a pretty colour. Better than a boring black.

Hopefully all these books will keep me going while I wait to go back to university. My only exam this semester is on the 16th, next week, and then I’m not back in classes again until the middle of February. Ergo, I have a lot of time to fill!

Has anyone else been splashing out on reading material? Or have you got your diary for next year sorted out? I’d love to see it!

name

1 comment:

  1. I nearly finished The Picture of Dorian Gray but just stopped reading it and never resumed, Oliver Wild describes things and thoughts in a way you think but never actually consider, if that makes sense? I saw the poster for the film and can say Dorian Gray in my head was more beautiful and femenine

    I've always wanted to read Dracula, let me know what you think when you finish!

    ReplyDelete